Várkerület (District 1): The Heart of Budapest’s History
Várkerület, also known as the 1st District of Budapest, is the Castle District and represents the historical core of the Buda side of Budapest. This district is not just a place; it’s a journey back in time, where every cobblestone and building has a story to tell.
Situated on the banks of the majestic Danube River, Várkerület boasts the Buda Castle Hill and some surrounding neighborhoods, including parts of the Gellért Hill. Its neighbors include District XI, known for its vibrant university life, and District XII, the scenic Highlands.
- Buda Castle: An iconic symbol of Budapest, this castle offers panoramic views of the city.
- Matthias Church: A historic church with intricate architecture and a rich history.
- Hungarian National Gallery: A treasure trove of Hungarian art.
- Castle Hill Funicular: A unique way to ascend to the castle while enjoying city views.
- Sándor Palace: The official residence of the President of Hungary.
- Fisherman’s Bastion: A neo-Gothic terrace offering some of the best views of Budapest.
- Labyrinth of Buda Castle: Dive deep into the underground maze beneath the castle.
As of 2022, Várkerület had a population of 24,277 residents, making it one of the districts with a smaller population in Budapest. The district’s age structure is older than the Budapest average, with only 10.2% of the population being children aged 0-14, while 25.9% are over 65.
Várkerület is home to several educational institutions, including three primary schools, four high schools, a music school, and a counseling and speech therapy institute. Additionally, there are several church-run educational institutions in the district.
- Zenetörténeti Múzeum: A museum dedicated to the history of music.
- Arany Sas Patikamúzeum: A museum showcasing the history of pharmacy.
- Budapesti Történeti Múzeum: A museum dedicated to the history of Budapest.
- Hadtörténeti Intézet és Múzeum: A museum and institute dedicated to military history.
- Magyar Nemzeti Galéria: The Hungarian National Gallery.
- Mátyás templom gyűjteménye: Collections from the Matthias Church.
- Országos Színháztörténeti Múzeum és Intézet: A museum and institute dedicated to the history of theater.
Várkerület is a blend of history, culture, and unparalleled beauty. Whether you’re a history buff, an art lover, or someone looking for breathtaking views, this district has something for everyone. When in Budapest, Várkerület is a must-visit!