Hospital in the Rock Nuclear Bunker Museum: A Journey Through Secrets
Nestled within the heart of Europe, underneath the Buda Castle, you’ll find the remarkable Hospital in the Rock Nuclear Bunker Museum.
This facility served as the last operating Hospital for the defenders during the siege in 1945. Amidst harrowing conditions, the Hospital treated an astonishing number of wounded, handling three to four times its capacity. In 1956, it once again provided medical care to the injured. By the 1960s, it transformed into a nuclear bunker. Impressively, the then state-of-the-art hospital equipment still stands preserved today, with its machinery functioning daily.
- Original Equipment: Visitors can explore the Hospital with equipment from that era. Wax figures breathe life into the conditions during the siege, offering a glimpse into a lesser-known side of war.
- Cold War Relics: See the chilling remnants of the Cold War era, including civil defense tools ranging from gas masks and chemical decontamination kits to radiation sickness treatments.
- Technical Curiosity: The facility is considered a technical wonder, giving visitors a unique perspective into a bygone era.
- Battlefield Medicine: An exhibition dedicated to the Special Forces’ operations introduces visitors to the significant operations of elite units. It demonstrates how these forces save the lives of their comrades on the battlefield and showcase the tools they employ. Intriguingly, a Mi-2 helicopter, a GAZ-69 off-road vehicle, and various original equipment and weapons have been housed underground for display.
- New Exhibitions: The museum has recently expanded with two permanent exhibitions.
- The Siege of Budapest: This exhibition sheds light on the battles of Budapest between 1944-45.
- “I became death, the destroyer of worlds”: Focusing on the horrors of deploying nuclear weapons, this exhibition was developed in collaboration with the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum in Japan.
For those interested in history, particularly the confluence of medical history, war, and the Cold War era, this museum provides a profound experience. The underground location and the authentic equipment and displays add to the aura of stepping back in time. Witness firsthand the horrors of war and the resilience of the human spirit in the face of adversity.
Experience history comes alive beneath the streets of Budapest at the Hospital in the Rock Nuclear Bunker Museum. 🏥💥🕊️